PLEASE READ THE TERMS OF THIS NOTICE CAREFULLY
CROSS SOLICITORS LLP are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. This policy applies whether we are acting directly for you and you are our client or whether we are acting as trustees of a trust under which you are a beneficiary or if we are acting as a guardian or litigation friend for you. It also applies if you are contacting us as a prospective client. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
For the purpose of the General Data Protection Regulations, the data controller is CROSS SOLICITORS LLP, 2 High Street, Connah’s Quay, Flintshire CH5 4DA, which is also our registered office. Our company registration number is OC41321. Our GDPR Manager is Susan Hollywood who is also a Member of CROSS SOLICITORS LLP.
Information we collect from you
We will collect and process the following data about you:
• Information you give us. This is information about you that you give us when we are instructed by you to act on your behalf on a legal matter. It also includes when you correspond with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. The information you give us will include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, financial and credit card information, National Insurance number, personal description, photograph and date of birth.
• Information we collect about you and how we use it: we collect the information detailed above about you so that we can correspond with you whether by letter, email or telephone (including where appropriate Skype or FaceTime calls) to carry out our obligations arising from any contract entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us. We will give you your preferred option of correspondence but will follow this up in writing to you be it by letter or email.
We may also use your information
• to contact other organisations be they government bodies, courts, other solicitors, barristers and their support staff, estate agents, process servers, medical professionals and their organisations, IT providers, software providers, accountants, individuals and other third parties that we may need to contact to progress and process your matter. We will make sure that you know when we use your information to contact these third parties although there may be certain emergency circumstances when we are prevented from doing so.
• There may also be times where we will seek your specific, written consent to contact a third party and we will advise you of this if this becomes necessary.
• If you apply for a job vacancy we will use the information to contact you and your referee and may, with your consent, run criminal and credit records checks on you.
• If you opt in to receive marketing information from us we will use your information to send you our newsletters and other correspondence which we think may interest you about us. If you are a new client, and where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you only if you have consented to this. If you do want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data.
Information we receive from other sources.
• This is information we receive about you if you have been referred to us by any third parties. We will notify you when we receive information about you from them and the purposes for which we intend to use that information.
Where we store your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored in our office at 2 High Street, Connah’s Quay, as well as on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access your information that we keep, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
For how long do we store your personal data
We will retain your data for so long as it necessary, consistent with our professional duties to maintain records for our professional purposes. Those purposes include retaining your data for a minimum statutory period (which is normally 6 years but may well be longer in individual cases), retaining data in order to reconstitute a file in the future, for professional duties such as undertaking conflict searches or for other record purposes.
Your rights relating to the use of your personal data
You have the right to be informed about how we use your data and this notice discharges that obligation.
In addition, you have the right to access information held about you. You can request deletion or correction of your personal data, please note our retention period as regards deletion of your data. If this is something that you want to do please contact us.
You can apply to restrict processing (please note this may impact our ability to provide our services to you).
You also have the right to object to certain types of processing of your data, subject to our rights to refuse to do so on legal grounds.
You are entitled to request that your personal data be transferred to another person and you also have the right to complain to a supervisory authority if you believe that we are misusing your personal data. The relevant supervisory organisation for us is the Solicitors Regulation Authority whose contact details are:
Solicitors Regulation Authority The Cube
199 Wharfside Street Birmingham
Telephone number: 0370 606 255
You may wish to contact our Data Protection Manager Susan Hollywood first and foremost. Relevant contact details are provided in this document.
In addition you can also refer any concerns that you may have regarding the use of your personal data to the Information Commissioners Office whose contact details are:
Information Commissioners Office Wycliffe House
Water Lane Wilmslow Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone number: 0303 123 1113